Re: [LUG] domains

On Fri, 4 Mar 2011, James Kilty wrote:

Maybe one day I'll
leave Demon and use them in their own right.

I've been advocating that people separate their email (& website) from their connectivity provider for some years now (well over 10). It is true to say that in the early days (c1995) it was harder to do (or more expensive), but these days it's quite easy - it will still cost you a bit more, but it's worth it IMO.

You're then free to chop & change connectivity provider as you see fit without any hassles of worrying about your email or websites (unless you're running an email server at home, of-course then it'll be a small hassle as you may need to change MX records if it gets email delvered direct - another reason I don't advocate running an email server at home...)

Gordon