Re: [LUG] domains

On Fri, 4 Mar 2011 11:40:46 +0000 (GMT)
Gordon Henderson <gordon+dcglug@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> A lot is really going to depend on how your hosting company handles the
> domains and what they will and won't let you do.
>
> If you're doing it yourself, running your own nameservers and web/email
> servers then anyting is possible.
>
> Almost every hosting company is differrent, so I suspect it's really hard
> for anyone to give you a real idea about what you can do. Maybe get
> in-touch with the hosting company and ask them?
>
> And if you want ultimate control, then get a VPS from somewhere with root
> accecss and fiddle with the config files...
>
> Gordon
Thanks for that, I think!! My hosting company seems very reasonable and
helpful. I am allowed up to 5 parked domains and 5 add ons. I was able
to set up the parked domain easily via cPanel.

I have set up an email account on the parked domain. I note for example
that if I type in the new domain name into my browser bar I get taken
to the original domain name, and that name appears in the browser bar.
My emails however show the new domain name.

I also am wondering if I can FTP to the parked domain. Since it is
redirected to the original domain I suppose that won't work. Would I
have better facilities using an add on domain?

Neil