Re: [LUG] Security and SSH

On 22/01/11 17:12, Gordon Henderson wrote:

After this, you should be able to connect from the command line using:

# ssh <username>@<web-site-host-name-or-IP>

where 'username' is the username you use to login to the remote machine,
not the username you use on the local machine, if different.

I have tried this and I get the error message

ssh: connect to host pamneil.com port 22: Connection refused

I must be missing something.

The remote site either isn't running sshd or has been firewalled.

If your control panel shows sshd enabled, then you might need to look
further - e.g. firwalling of some sort. It's also possible that the host
you ssh into isn't the same host that your site is on - depending on how
the hosting company set stuff up. They might also be using a different
port.

Thanks for all the help so far. Two things - how can I tell if sshd is enabled?. Two - I can logon to the website using FireFTP in Firefox. Would I be able to do that if there were a firewall set up?

TIA

Neil