Re: [LUG] Security and SSH

On 22/01/11 16:20, Philip Hudson wrote:
Philip's making it seem more complicated. Really, using ssh with a
username and password is no different from using FTP, Telnet, rsh,
etc. Once you have the basic interactive login working, then you can
wory about keys, etc.

Exactly. First two steps only for the simple case. Sorry for bringing
step 3 in when it's not necessary.

So, it sounds like sshd is already installed on the website system
(server).

Now, have a look in your package manager GUI -- you use KUbuntu and
Mint, so that'll be Synaptic. Is 'openssh' already installed? If not,
install it.

After this, you should be able to connect from the command line using:

# ssh <username>@<web-site-host-name-or-IP>

where 'username' is the username you use to login to the remote machine,
not the username you use on the local machine, if different.

I have tried this and I get the error message

ssh: connect to host pamneil.com port 22: Connection refused

I must be missing something.

Neil