Re: [LUG] Security and SSH

On 21/01/11 10:00, Philip Hudson wrote:
On 21 Jan, 2011, at 8:49 am, Neil Winchurst wrote:

I think that I would like to understand it all a bit better. I will be
asking for some help on setting it up therefore, thanks Phil.

Cool. The files we'll be dealing with are $HOME/.ssh/config and
(depending on distro) /etc/sshd_config or /etc/ssh/sshd_config. You need
to edit and save the latter with superuser privileges. If you go for
public keys, we'll also be appending keys to $HOME/.ssh/authorized_keys
on the server.

The sshd_config file is liberally commented, but not everything in the
comments is straightforward to understand.

It should be OK to keep this on-list, so long as we don't include
passwords, passphrases and private (not public) keys -- we'll get to
those in a bit -- but anything you're not sure about, take it offline.

--
Phil Hudson PGP/GnuPG ID: 0x887DCA63
http://hudson-it.no-ip.biz @UWascalWabbit

Hi Phil,

further research has suggested to me that what I really need is to set up SFTP or something similar. I use my website to store a few important (to me) files as a sort of backup. So I use FTP (via FireFTP on Firefox) to copy those files over when there is any change to them.

I think that it would be safer to use some sort of encryption when I copy those files and SFTP came up.

Have I got that right?

Thanks

Neil