Re: [LUG] Security and SSH

On 22 Jan, 2011, at 12:00 pm, Gordon Henderson wrote:

On Sat, 22 Jan 2011, Neil Winchurst wrote:

On 22/01/11 09:11, Philip Hudson wrote:
On 22 Jan, 2011, at 8:54 am, Neil Winchurst wrote:
further research has suggested to me that what I really need is to set
up SFTP or something similar. I use my website to store a few
important (to me) files as a sort of backup. So I use FTP (via FireFTP on Firefox) to copy those files over when there is any change to them. I think that it would be safer to use some sort of encryption when I
copy those files and SFTP came up.
Have I got that right?
Absolutely.
The recipe remains the same. SFTP is a "subsystem" which piggy- backs on
top of ssh.
First step is to install and configure sshd on the server.

I take it that by 'server' you mean my website?

Probably.

Definitely.

<snip>

I get cross with myself for getting so lost in all this.

Don't! I'm sure it's my instructions that are at fault.

Philip's making it seem more complicated. Really, using ssh with a username and password is no different from using FTP, Telnet, rsh, etc. Once you have the basic interactive login working, then you can wory about keys, etc.

Exactly. First two steps only for the simple case. Sorry for bringing step 3 in when it's not necessary.

So, it sounds like sshd is already installed on the website system (server).

Now, have a look in your package manager GUI -- you use KUbuntu and Mint, so that'll be Synaptic. Is 'openssh' already installed? If not, install it.

After this, you should be able to connect from the command line using:

# ssh <username>@<web-site-host-name-or-IP>

where 'username' is the username you use to login to the remote machine, not the username you use on the local machine, if different.

--
Phil Hudson                      PGP/GnuPG ID: 0x887DCA63
http://hudson-it.no-ip.biz                 @UWascalWabbit