Re: [LUG] Security and SSH

Simon's post is excellent and pretty much covers all the bases, especially his opening comment on security being a question of trade- offs not absolutes.

I'm more than willing to advise in detail on configuring ssh (the client you use to connect to another machine, which is in turn used by scp and sftp) and sshd (the server). It's taken a decade or so but I think I now understand more than 80% of the configuration options based on real-life usage.

One thing nobody mentioned so far is the use of public keys to give secure transparent remote access -- no passwords. Among many other benefits, this allows you to script remote machines -- something ssh offers that FTP, telnet etc cannot do.

--
Phil Hudson                      PGP/GnuPG ID: 0x887DCA63
http://hudson-it.no-ip.biz                 @UWascalWabbit