Re: [LUG] Security and SSH

On 21/01/11 07:37, Philip Hudson wrote:
Simon's post is excellent and pretty much covers all the bases,
especially his opening comment on security being a question of
trade-offs not absolutes.

I'm more than willing to advise in detail on configuring ssh (the client
you use to connect to another machine, which is in turn used by scp and
sftp) and sshd (the server). It's taken a decade or so but I think I now
understand more than 80% of the configuration options based on real-life
usage.

One thing nobody mentioned so far is the use of public keys to give
secure transparent remote access -- no passwords. Among many other
benefits, this allows you to script remote machines -- something ssh
offers that FTP, telnet etc cannot do.

--
Phil Hudson PGP/GnuPG ID: 0x887DCA63
http://hudson-it.no-ip.biz @UWascalWabbit

Thanks for the help so far everyone. Looking at security in the cPanel for my host I see that choices include SSL/TLS Manager and SSH/Shell Access. I have looked at them of course and read their help notes but am not much the wiser. I have also done some Google searches on SSH which confused me even more. Hence my original email.

I think that I would like to understand it all a bit better. I will be asking for some help on setting it up therefore, thanks Phil.

Regards

Neil