Re: [LUG] Firefox and other browsers

On Tue, 03 Aug 2010 08:56:49 +0100
Neil Winchurst wrote:

> This is what puzzles me. If I want to look at the files on my website
> I use a browser (Firefox). It seemed obvious to me that, if I want to
> move files between my website and my own computer, then I should use
> the browser.

Ah, I see... you're looking at it from a "where is it" perspective ('my
website') rather than a "how does it get there" perspective ('by FTP').

If you think about how the files get there it'll make more sense.

You're using one protocol (HTTP) to view the site, but another protocol
(FTP) to transfer the files.  The same way as you wouldn't necessarily
expect to be able to view a website in file-manager such as Nautilus,
you shouldn't expect there to be an FTP-tool built-in to a web-browser.

> When I use FireFTP the screen is divided into two columns. On the
> left I see all the folders and files on my hard disk. On the right I
> see all the folders and files on my website. There is a simple way to
> transfer files (copy or move) one way or the other.

You'll find that most FTP tools have a similar layout.

Does FireFTP make it easy to change the file permissions on the server?

Grant.