Re: [LUG] Firefox and other browsers

On 02/08/10 08:29, Neil Winchurst wrote:
On 01/08/10 16:07, Rob Beard wrote:

I've never thought about having FTP facilities in a browser, at least
not for uploading stuff. I've generally used an FTP client.

Rob

I would like to thank all those who have replied to this thread. I am
learning a lot, and I am very pleased that I started it. Because I found
and have always used FireFTP in Firefox I just assumed that it was a
normal situation to have such a facility as part of a browser. Now it
seems that, once again, I am wrong.

In that case perhaps people could suggest what I should be using
instead. I have never looked any further than FireFTP. I do regularly
move files to and from my own computer and my website. What sort of
program should I be using please? Any recommendations, and explanation
as to why it is better, would be gratefully received.

Well as I mentioned, I use gftp, I chose this simply because it's the first package I found that had a GUI interface (I could use the command line FTP package or even wget if I wanted but for things like this I prefer a command line interface).

Someone else mentioned FileZilla. I've not used it on Linux myself but I have used it on Windows and I can recommend it, it's a great program (and I see it's now in the Ubuntu repositories too, so I'll probably give it a try).

I'm not sure if it's possible to just browse to an FTP site using Nautilus but I'm guessing that it would be possible in Konqueror or Dolphin on KDE.

Rob