Re: [LUG] Firefox and other browsers

On 03/08/10 11:11, Grant Sewell wrote:
Does FireFTP make it easy to change the file permissions on the server?

Yeah it's very easy (right click > properties or something).

On 03/08/10 10:54, Neil Winchurst wrote:
I didn't expect it to be a default. But I did expect to find an addon like fireFTP just as easily. So far I have not found anything so easy to use, but that could just be me not looking in the right place.

I haven't used Opera for years but they used to have closed sourced mentality of "addons = exploits/viruses" and "we'll do it ourselves". I'd imagine that Opera still doesn't have a real extension framework and you have to rely on their developers to add this, which I highly doubt they will.

Google Chrome/Chromium is still relatively new. They've taken some big steps in regards to extension development but AFAIK it's still miles off what Firefox can offer. I think it will continue to improve so you might see a similar third party feature in the near future.

If you don't like Firefox due to its speed you can always try SwiftFox which is an optimally built and compiled version of Firefox (so it will support the same addons etc). Remember that extensions and addons typically hinder performance and speed so it's a bit of a catch 22.

As someone else said all FTP clients have very similar interfaces.

Gibbs