Re: [LUG] A microcosm of the web

On 01/08/10 13:35, Eion MacDonald wrote:
On 01/08/2010 12:44, Rob Beard wrote:
Yep Dialup is still available, maybe not so widely used these days but
it's still available for those who want/need it.
Rob

All persons need it, if and when broadband goes down.
I use it to do basic email then.

I don't use dialup, when my broadband goes down (not very often luckily) I use the mobile broadband modem.

Also company with large broadband capability computers linked only to
their closed network, as they will not permit FTP (due security system
adopted) and cannot access web except through their VPN from computers
in house. By a normal land line independent telephone or mobile I can
obtain the FTP files (bid document files) available from his customers!
Then to USB Hard disc and transfer into his system

I can see the point here I guess. I occasionally considered connecting a dialup modem to my server at home for when I was away visiting my Grandma who doesn't have any sort of internet connection, but now again I tend to use my mobile broadband modem, although I guess in some cases a secure connection is needed and maybe the solution is dialup.

Not to mention there are also folks who can't get broadband for one reason or another who still use dialup.

Rob