Re: [LUG] A microcosm of the web

On 01/08/10 09:37, tom brough wrote:
On 01/08/10 08:17, tom wrote:
On 01/08/10 07:45, Jaan Janesmae wrote:
Hey,

The UX and UI side of website design/management is actually a very
complicated science. There surely isn't enough materials and articles
about it available to the public. Shame also, that not many places
actually teach such things ... oh and experts in this field are very
expensive ...

J.

They're actually very cheap - they're called customers.
It normally takes someone with an IQ of 50 to work out what they want
from your web site:
Will I want to view a 10 minute flash about the company? No!
Will I want to spend 10 minutes searching the labyrinth of PR
information? No!
Thats 90% of most website binned.
Will I want to buy your product easily: Yes!
     So councils and universities should have clear short routes to
services, timetables etc and not 20,000 clicks through how the metadata
was defined and presented.
Will I want to find support info easily? Yes! see above.
Once  you consider (honestly) how a 'customer' would like to use your
web site and make it easy for them - and make it accessible: do this
first - its a great lesson!!!!

You just have to imagine how a customer would like walk/click into your
'shop' and make it easy for them.
Does a high street shop take you on a two hour trip through the PR
department, explain all the legal reasonings and health and safety hoops
they've jumped through to get their sandwich on that shelf? Or have a
simpering, slicked back 'peter mandelson' explaining company mission
statements?  NO! A high street shop would loose every last customer
doing this.
Just let the customer get to the sandwich, checkout and complaints dept
easily and you've satisfied 99% of your customers, saved 95% of your web
development costs and reduced web bandwidth requirements by 85% - oh and
sold something!!
Its NOT rocket science - though getting it past your PR department might
require a couple of dozen rockets.
Tom te tom te tom

 From my experience :

Council PR + Top Layer Government Legislation + "Arts&  Design"
orientated Webmasters (technically webmistresses in TC's case) with no
background in Informatics = one unusable website (eg http://torbay.gov.uk)

Tom, if you ever speak to them, can you pass on some feedback please?

Their Housing Benefit pages are WAY too complicated. When trying to apply online it takes at least about 10 minutes to find the right page, if you click on the Benefits link it has no useable links on it.

The guys who look after the "technical" side of the website sit on
adjoining desks and are constantly pulling their hair out, while their
boss says "yes its ok for the designers to insert a piece of java script
with a ticking countdown clock on the front of the website" (that helps
nobody).

Yep, a ticking clock, hmm... all I have to do is look on my task bar to see the time. I certainly wouldn't go to the Torbay Council web site to look at it.

But then if you worked in a council for any length of time you would
understand that its not their to help the local people, but to ensure
that government legislation is followed to the letter, because ticking
boxes on a central government form = funding.

Yep I agree. I went to a meeting at our local housing association about their site usability, suffice to say I had a long list of complaints.

Eg you would think a public library was about giving access to knowledge
through the loaning of books...

Nop its about getting a target number of people through the front door.
It doesn't matter if they check out a book or not, as long as they
visit, no. of visitors = £ funding. This is why libraries are now
becoming video rental "shops" ...

I can believe that as crazy as it is. Why don't they get rid of all the books and just have a big screen TV showing films/sports and give away free drinks, I'm sure they'd get the visitors through the door then :-)

Rob