Re: [LUG] A microcosm of the web

On 01/08/10 12:16, Jaan Janesmae wrote:
Hi,

This takes me back a while ... we had this client (government
institution) for a website. The website was to look like the front of
their house, clicking on the door you get to the second page with
doors and the doors then get you do the different data, yhat yu might
be interested at.

They're actually very cheap - they're called customers.
Still, you would need some kind of professional help with this. You
can still get awesome responses from customers like: "remove all the
images from the site, it takes too long to download on my dial up
connection" assuming a dial up service still exists ...

No - its not that hard. You just have to try and think about it from the customers point of view. Think I am a customer. I want to do A. Hit the home page. How does it help me do A? ... Make it work for that.
Then B then C ...
In an afternoon you can do 1000 walkthroughs on a good site. Some none.
If you can make what you want to sell (provide service etc) simple then your there. As I said before the only professional help you need is to kill the marketing and design and PR departments. Your council has a crap website - tell them its crap, tell your councillor you should be able to do A like so, B like so. If you cant do something on the web site without crying into your pint it FAILS. Simple as that. The council has government stipulated requirements - they don't have to get in the way of every last thing. You dont have to put everything behind a government inspired metadata search wall - it just has to be available for government grants...
Tom te tom te tom