Re: [LUG] Firefox and other browsers

 On 01/08/2010 12:57, Neil Winchurst wrote:
On 01/08/10 11:35, Grant Sewell wrote:
On Sun, 01 Aug 2010 11:29:41 +0100

*You* need FireFTP (ie direct FTP upload capabilities from within the
browser).  *I* don't.  I am quite happy with Chrome.  I am quite happy
to recommend Chrome to people.

Never forget that what might be an absolutely-positively-must-have
feature for you could be something that someone else never even looks
at.

Grant.

Agreed. But, I can't be the only one needing FTP capabilities. There are stacks of people with their own websites. I am just surprised that this is missing from Opera and Chrome. I would expect it to be something that is automatically included in the spec fo any browser. Oh well, wrong again. Nothing new there then!!

Neil

What's wrong with typing 'ftp://username@ftp_server' into the address bar of *any* browser? All you have to do then is enter your password and save it as a bookmark. If you absolutely must FTP through your browser (personally I don't see why) then this way should be foolproof for any browser, whether they have special extensions or not.

My choice is normally to use the program designed for the specific purpose. Browsers aren't designed to be FTP clients and vice versa. I tend to just use whatever FTP capability the OS I am using has built-in, Network Neighbourhood in Windows XP, map a network drive in Windows 7, and whatever happens to be installed in any Linux distribution I install.

Julian