Re: [LUG] Firefox and other browsers

On Sun, 2010-08-01 at 12:57 +0100, Neil Winchurst wrote:

> Agreed. But, I can't be the only one needing FTP capabilities. There are
> stacks of people with their own websites. I am just surprised that this
> is missing from Opera and Chrome. I would expect it to be something that
> is automatically included in the spec fo any browser. Oh well, wrong
> again. Nothing new there then!!

While it is useful to download things off an ftp site occasionally via
the browser (any of which should do that), to my mind there is no good
reason for having an ftp client built into a browser by default, if you
need to upload files regularly then its better to use a standalone ftp
client of some sort that is designed for the job, Filezilla is pretty
decent and what I usually use here; as are many others.

End of the day, you use whatever works for you. For example I actually
use Scribefire which is a blog post addon, not because I *really* need
it in the browser though, but because it was the one I got on with the
best when I tried a whole bunch. As an addon Scribefire is ok *for me*,
but I would die a little inside if suddenly such a feature was loaded
into Firefox by default. A browser is a browser, one tool for each job.

--
John Williams
My linux blog of notes and guides