Re: [LUG] Fwd: UK 'misled' on broadband speeds

On 27/07/10 17:16, Rob Beard wrote:
On 27/07/2010 16:32, Anthony Williams wrote:
On 27/07/10 16:11, Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Tue, 27 Jul 2010, Anthony Williams wrote:

On 27/07/10 13:32, John Williams wrote:
On Tue, 2010-07-27 at 12:58 +0100, Rob Beard wrote:

Are there any better deals around on packages over 100GB-150GB per
month
that anyone has noticed ?

I use ukonline (http://www.ukonline.co.uk). All their packages are
unlimited usage, and very good value. The only "limit" is their "fair
usage policy",

So not unlimited then...

There is no cap on bytes, and the FUP only caps bandwidth during peak
time (5pm-midnight). This is quite different to other ISPs I've looked
at, which cap bytes as well as bandwidth. Some even have an explicit
byte cap on their "unlimited" tariffs.

Sounds a bit like the Virgin FUP where on the 20Mbit connection (not
sure about 10MBit) where if you download over 6.5GB between 10am and 3pm
and/or over 3.5GB between 4pm and 9pm then you're throttled down to
5Mbit for 5 hours. It's annoying although I don't get hit by it very
often, usually if I leave the XBOX 360 downloading a demo or something
(usually between a couple of hundred megs and a couple of gigs at a
time) and watch a load of HD Youtube videos.

Sounds similar, but I've never hit a "throttle". It's always fast in the daytime and slow in the evenings (even when I have low usage).

Your slowdowns in the evening are caused by their own network, or
interconnect with the BT Wholesale network being inadequate. Very
probably nothing to do with the BT Wholsale network itself.

Why do you think that? The connection here has always been slow in the
evening, even with my previous ISP (onetel, who got bought out by
TalkTalk). The exchange is not unbundled, so it's still a BT line.

Could be an oversubscribed provider. When I was with Enta before the
changes for 21CN I believe they had something like 7 pipes to BT and
occasionally some pipes had more subscribers than others. The only way
of changing pipes was to disconnect and re-connect. Now I'm not sure if
some ISPs are still doing things like this, but it could be a case that
you're stuck on a pipe that has lots of heavy users on there.

Could be. Every ISP I've spoken to (and I spoke to quite a few when I changed to ukonline) said that it was due to contention and there was nothing they would be able to do to improve the situation.

Also, isn't UKOnline an Sky/Easynet ISP?

I don't know. It comes up as that when I do a speed test though.

Anthony
--
Author of C++ Concurrency in Action     http://www.stdthread.co.uk/book/
just::thread C++0x thread library             http://www.stdthread.co.uk