Re: [LUG] Fwd: UK 'misled' on broadband speeds

On 27 July 2010 16:40, Neil Winchurst <barnaby@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I have done some charity work in Romania. It seems to be a very poor
> country. Yet looking at the report about the fastest broadband results
> around the world I find that Romania comes in at no 8 while the UK is at no
> 35. What the hell is going on?
>
> South Korea. My brother has some good friends in SK. When I was talking to
> them about their good record with all technology they said that one reason
> was quite simple. When their government says that some work is to be done to
> improve something, and that needs some disruption, eg digging up some
> streets, nobody argues or complains. It just gets done!!

What proportion of the populations of both countries live in urban
areas (or even better, tower blocks) compared to rural areas, and is
this comparable to the UK?

If most of the population lives in urban areas, then it's a piece of
cake (in terms of effort and cost) to give more of your population
super fast broadband.

BT, on the other hand, has to deal with a massive, aging copper
network that would cost too much to replace with something nice
(that's why their glacial FTTC rollout is only in a few select
towns/cities), and due to quality and line length isn't going to give
everyone world-beating speeds.

Not trying to defend BT, but there is a lot more to it than simply "X
has a state owned telco and/or there are fewer regulations when it
comes to ripping the streets up".

Shaun