Re: [LUG] Fwd: UK 'misled' on broadband speeds

On Tue, 27 Jul 2010, John Williams wrote:

On Tue, 2010-07-27 at 12:58 +0100, Rob Beard wrote:

Try one of the many Enta resellers, 30 day contracts, reasonably good
usage allowances.  For about £45 you get 90GB peak (that is 8am to 8pm
weekdays) and unlimited off peak (8pm to 8am weekdays and all weekend).

http://ukfsn.org/business/internet/adsl/

Rob

Thank you Rob, I've just had to change my opinion on Entanet after a
quick look. It is going to cost me more, but I think I can live with
that.

Is there anyone on Entanet with experience of their broadband service
and how well they deal with problems when they arise?  Before I leap in.

Well, I'm a reseller but I've only a couple of dozen clients - however my resellers (of my VoIP products) generally use Entanet too.

Is customer/technical support English or will be talking to Justin in
Bangalore ?

All UK based - Telford.

Support generally works better by phone, but email works most of the time. Once you're installed, you can bypass the reseller totally - unless they're providing supplimentary services such as email, web space and stuff like that. Resellers do have the option to bill directly, so can set their own rates, if required. (I don't - I let Entanet direct debit the client)

Are there any better deals around on packages over 100GB-150GB per month
that anyone has noticed ?

There's the issue - you want the lot, but aren't willing to pay for it...

If you want an ISP that actually charges a proper amount, then look at AAISP. You want 150GB at peak time? That'll cost you £464.95 a month, and a good chunk of that is going to BT as BT wholesale charge by the byte. The rest goes to maintaining a 1:1 contention ratio inside their own network.

Now, if you want off-peak, and here there are typically 2 bands - 8pm to 8am for business tarrifs, and midnight to 8am for the rest.

There you can get unlimited data - but it may still be subject to throttling, etc.

Entanet - 150GB at peak time costs ... Hm. their biggest package is "Family 120" which has a peak-time cap of 120GB a month. That costs £49.96 a month. There is a business tarrif - Business 180 which is £66.68 a month.

Business vs. home? Business products should get a biger chunk of the network bandwidth, and with ADSL2 technology (that's up to 8Mb) you'll get an up to 833Kb/sec upload speed. On 2+ you get up to what the line can take (1.2Mb max)

BT wholesale have 2 rates over their network - standard an elevated. They did away with the old 50:1 and 20: contention ratios some years back and changed the metrics, although it's similar.

Now, on elevated services you're supposed to get something like 3Mb/sec (or your line speed) for 90% of the time, and it's 2Mb for slightly less that that on standard services. Those numbers may not be exact, I'm going from memory here.

The next thing to know is that ISPs own networks may (or may not in the case of AAISP!) be contended. Then there's the hand-off points - what if the ISP only has 1 x 1Gb connection to the LINX and they have more than 1GB worth of data to get through, etc.

Finally, some ISPs tel lyou you're on a business connection which means that there is less contention inside their own network, but you're still on the standard rate over the BT Wholesale network! BT retail is an example of this - their business tarrifs start on the standard BTW rates.

Good luck with who you pick - If you read the forums, etc. you'll find a few Entanet resellers jumped ship to selling Murphx connections, but who knows that that will bring. I'm still happy with them, but I only ever sell the business tarrifs.

Gordon