Re: [LUG] Summary Todays Holsworthy Meeting - June 17th

On Sun, Jul 18, 2010 at 3:51 PM, Gordon Henderson
<gordon+dcglug@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Jul 2010, Roland Tarver wrote:
>
>> Is pascal still used to teach programming. I believe it was developed
>> as a teaching language? We used it in college (13 years ago - heck im
>> old! lol lol)
>
> Hmph. Young whipper snapper ...

hehe :-p

> I had a summer job programming a computer aided learning suite in UCSD
> Pascal for the Royal Infirmiray in Edinburgh - that was 28 years ago...
> (Before you were born? ;-)
>
> Pascal suffered from lack of proper IO in the reference implementations,
> which was OK when you were reading from a deck of punched cards, but not
> from the keyboard. It was 'fixed up' in latter years... IIRC that schools in
> Lothian went down the Modula 2 route for a while as it was easier to do
> screen & keyboard IO in, and generally less clunky than Pascal. I jumped to
> C as soon as I found out about it and never really looked at Pascal again...

Cool. From what I remember it was pretty easy to learn all the basics
in (I did). I think I even had to do a project using it.

hmmm - I'm not a programmer, but suddenly I feel the need... lol

Roly :-)