Re: [LUG] Summary Todays Holsworthy Meeting - June 17th

On 17/07/2010 18:55, John Williams wrote:
Thanks to everyone who came, especially to Rhia, Tom and Paul who came
up from Torquay.
I was hoping to make it but got stuck at work ... maybe the next one
Lots of interesting discussion, subjects varied broadly, from how much
the speccy sucked (Kidding Rhia.. honest ;))) to how we can perhaps
encroach onto school installs with opensource applications and operating
systems.
I support a number of schools and have tried many times to get them to move away from MS but they are reluctant to do so.. I have managed to get various opensource apps in tho' -the normal suspects - GIMP, OOo, Scribus .... Maybe I can discuss some reasons why schools won't/can't move away from MS when I get to a meeting.
</snip>

I was also asking about languages suitable to teach a 9year old, Tom
suggested the system that is included in the EToys package which I had
looked at previously. I would prefer something like old skool Basic
though.
Have you tried Scratch - http://scratch.mit.edu/
I saw this being demo'd at a presentation at this years BETT show in January. It is aimed at KS3 -KS4 but one of the teachers I met at BETT was using it with yr5/6 kids so maybe your 9 year old may be able to take to it. My 8 year old is going to have a go with it over the summer - he like the idea of being able to make his own games!

I have one school interested in using it instead of the dreaded LOGO/roamer.

</snip>
Next meeting is on August 21st which is the 3rd saturday of the month
again.

I'll try to get to this one .. I have a load of old linux format magazines that I got sent by them to give away a meetings so I can bring them along.

I may be able to bring some kit with me if I have time to sort it out.

Dave