Re: [LUG] LUG funds

On Sat, 2010-06-19 at 12:24 +0100, Paul Sutton wrote:

> If we want to do regular presentations then perhaps buying a projector
> would be a good investmebnt,  if we find a good ven\
> I agree there seems to be a lot of incidental expenses Even going as far
> as buying a copy of the ubuntu manual, cd's, labels, ink etc etc it adds
> up to quite a lot of money over a year. , If we install this network at
> the lighthouse then if this is running 10.04 it may help if they had a
> manual

Do we do presentations currently, regular or not that need a projector ?

> if we buy it, or get it printed it costs money I have actually bought
> myself a copy,  it looks really nice and is nicely bound, so book +
> postage came to about 10 pounds.  which for myself  is fine,  i don't
> have that sort of money to buy books for other people / places. but to
> help floss grow it needs money. as TOm said there is a hard core group
> of us who are really keen to see this grow.

I'm more of the mind that if someone wants the manual, they can buy it.
We can tell them where its available.

> Thing is ok we may buy these things for places,  BUT if we get
> advertising and promotion in return it will look good on the lug and the
> OSS community genrally.

Just being available to help is plenty in my opinion. Most of us are
just Joe Bloggs like the folks we help. Its been my experience that
people realise that and respect it. Folks I've helped have been more
than happy to have someone knowledgeable to
help/install/setup/repair/advise without supply expensive items like
manuals for free. If you are marketing yourself as a charitable
organisation then you are going to need funds, if we are just a
collective of helpful/expert/whatever doing things in our spare time
then I've not had any problems with people acknowledging that.

> we could fund raise for software freedom day so nearer the time we can
> burn off a stack of cd's or get them done properly,  so we have
> resources for the day.  and not incur huge expenses .

That Â12 will buy a cake of CD's, the inlay thingies I designed last
month would be pence to print off and stick/insert. Just needs someone
to cut them up, burn the disks etc. Money doesn't help with that, its
just time. Which I often have personally speaking.

I'm happy to do things from time to time that cost me a few quid, like
the CD's last time and Ubuntu stickers I had spare. Just what I can,
when I can. Folks I help sometimes give me a fiver/tenner/goat meat (yes
really) and I am grateful though I do try and decline as I am just happy
to assist (and it gets me out of the house)

If the group as a whole wants to go full hog with a commitee, treasurer,
minutes etc, its going to be a lot less casual and fun, probably.

--
John Williams
My linux blog of notes and guides