Re: [LUG] LUG funds

On 19/06/10 11:33, tom wrote:
> On 19/06/10 11:14, Neil Williams wrote:
>> On Sat, 19 Jun 2010 10:56:08 +0100
>> Paul Sutton <zleap@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> Right now we have > £12.63
>>>
>>> I think we need to decide how best to move ahead,
>>
>> Which includes a decision about whether the LUG would actually benefit
>> from funds or whether any monies larger than current would attract
>> unwanted admin and hassle. We cannot attract sponsors without having an
>> official accounting method and banking setup and that costs money. Why
>> bother?
>>
>> What is the fund meant to do? Why seek funding without a clear idea of
>> what needs funding?
>>
>>> perhaps sponsorship
>>> is a way forward,  come up with an event. find costs and get sponsors
>>> to help cover costs.
>>
>> Currently, there are no costs, nor have there been since we started in
>> 1999.
>>

> I think a "hard core" of the group wish to look at expanding and growing
> FLOSS. Yes FLOSS is organic, and it will grow in its own time, but it
> doesn't hurt to water the flowers once in a while. As such I think we
> want to look at potential revenue streams that could be activated IF the
> need for funding was identified.
>
> For example Formal Voluntary Education Courses, or seminars for business
> / community, or assisting social mobilisation groups (Lighthouse /
> Estwick Project) could all be assisted with funding. With extended
> membership it is possible that extra revenues could be raised to get us
> to the next phase.
>
> Of course I'm not talking industrial scale activity, and I'm sure we
> want to preserve the "informal" arrangements that are a core part of the
> identity of the group, but we also should be looking at more innovate
> ways to operate (as that is the nature of FLOSS).
>
> Tom.

If we want to do regular presentations then perhaps buying a projector
would be a good investmebnt,  if we find a good ven\
I agree there seems to be a lot of incidental expenses Even going as far
as buying a copy of the ubuntu manual, cd's, labels, ink etc etc it adds
up to quite a lot of money over a year. , If we install this network at
the lighthouse then if this is running 10.04 it may help if they had a
manual

if we buy it, or get it printed it costs money I have actually bought
myself a copy,  it looks really nice and is nicely bound, so book +
postage came to about 10 pounds.  which for myself  is fine,  i don't
have that sort of money to buy books for other people / places. but to
help floss grow it needs money. as TOm said there is a hard core group
of us who are really keen to see this grow.

Thing is ok we may buy these things for places,  BUT if we get
advertising and promotion in return it will look good on the lug and the
OSS community genrally.

we could fund raise for software freedom day so nearer the time we can
burn off a stack of cd's or get them done properly,  so we have
resources for the day.  and not incur huge expenses .

Paul