Re: [LUG] LUG funds

On 19/06/10 11:14, Neil Williams wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Jun 2010 10:56:08 +0100
> Paul Sutton <zleap@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> On 19/06/10 10:23, Neil Stone wrote:
>>> Who is the best person to talk with regarding an idea for raising
>>> funds for the lug
>>>
>> Right now we have > £12.63
>>
>> I think we need to decide how best to move ahead,
>
> Which includes a decision about whether the LUG would actually benefit
> from funds or whether any monies larger than current would attract
> unwanted admin and hassle. We cannot attract sponsors without having an
> official accounting method and banking setup and that costs money. Why
> bother?
>
> What is the fund meant to do? Why seek funding without a clear idea of
> what needs funding?
>
>> perhaps sponsorship
>> is a way forward,  come up with an event. find costs and get sponsors
>> to help cover costs.
>
> Currently, there are no costs, nor have there been since we started in
> 1999.

Well quite a few of us are burning cd-r's with linux on,  this is at our
own expense,  it would be nice if we could get hold of some proper cd's
such as the canonical ubuntu cd's just to do installs, or do other
distros have properly pressed cd's i know we can send for some,  they
just look nicer and are printed.

The alternative is light scribe,  I don't have the hardware for this,
so it may be worth raising funds and then asking a member who has to
perhaps make a few copies,  but if the lug can provide the disks
otherwise is it a lot to ask of people to do this free of chage, as it
costs them, There has also been several occasions where people have been
able to do it,  but lack disks, lack funds for disks, etc.

Paul