Re: [LUG] LUG funds

On 19/06/10 11:14, Neil Williams wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Jun 2010 10:56:08 +0100
> Paul Sutton <zleap@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> On 19/06/10 10:23, Neil Stone wrote:
>>> Who is the best person to talk with regarding an idea for raising
>>> funds for the lug
>>>
>> Right now we have > £12.63
>>
>> I think we need to decide how best to move ahead,
>
> Which includes a decision about whether the LUG would actually benefit
> from funds or whether any monies larger than current would attract
> unwanted admin and hassle. We cannot attract sponsors without having an
> official accounting method and banking setup and that costs money. Why
> bother?
>
> What is the fund meant to do? Why seek funding without a clear idea of
> what needs funding?
>
>> perhaps sponsorship
>> is a way forward,  come up with an event. find costs and get sponsors
>> to help cover costs.
>
> Currently, there are no costs, nor have there been since we started in
> 1999.

I think a "hard core" of the group wish to look at expanding and growing
FLOSS. Yes FLOSS is organic, and it will grow in its own time, but it
doesn't hurt to water the flowers once in a while. As such I think we
want to look at potential revenue streams that could be activated IF the
need for funding was identified.

For example Formal Voluntary Education Courses, or seminars for business
/ community, or assisting social mobilisation groups (Lighthouse /
Estwick Project) could all be assisted with funding. With extended
membership it is possible that extra revenues could be raised to get us
to the next phase.

Of course I'm not talking industrial scale activity, and I'm sure we
want to preserve the "informal" arrangements that are a core part of the
identity of the group, but we also should be looking at more innovate
ways to operate (as that is the nature of FLOSS).

Tom.