Re: [LUG] LUG funds

On 19/06/10 12:50, Roland Tarver wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 19, 2010 at 12:35 PM, Neil Williams <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Sat, 19 Jun 2010 12:12:35 +0100
>> Paul Sutton <zleap@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> Well quite a few of us are burning cd-r's with linux on,  this is at
>>> our own expense,  it would be nice if we could get hold of some
>>> proper cd's such as the canonical ubuntu cd's just to do installs, or
>>> do other distros have properly pressed cd's i know we can send for
>>> some,  they just look nicer and are printed.
>>
>> Those are internal costs and are slightly different. We can use our own
>> contributions to club together and purchase things for members of the
>> group to own - whatever the purpose of those items. That is the basis
>> of the existing puny fund.
>>
>> What gets prohibitive is either asking for external sponsorship of such
>> purchases/funding or giving our funds to someone else to purchase items
>> for their own usage.
>>
>>> The alternative is light scribe,  I don't have the hardware for this,
>>> so it may be worth raising funds and then asking a member who has to
>>> perhaps make a few copies,  but if the lug can provide the disks
>>> otherwise is it a lot to ask of people to do this free of chage, as it
>>> costs them, There has also been several occasions where people have
>>> been able to do it,  but lack disks, lack funds for disks, etc.
>>
>> As long as we do not give or receive money from outside the group, then
>> things are a lot simpler. We should remain a collection of friends who
>> share our own equipment and resources (which includes personal money and
>> our own computers) on an informal and collaborative basis for the
>> collective good of those within the group.
>>
>> What we will find hard (and expensive) to do is to give or receive
>> money outside the group for usage outside the group, especially if any
>> of the monies go to or come from any "legally recognised body" like a
>> company or non-profit organisation, a charity, a sponsor or local or
>> central government departments or agencies.
>>
>> It must be our own money (i.e. upon which we have personally paid income
>> tax) that the group receives or spends for the purposes of the group
>> and to the benefit of the group.
>>

>> --
>>

> I wonder what, specifically, Neil S. had in mind??? Is it money that
> he has paid income tax on?
>
> Best wishes
> roly :-)

I think neil was looking at money to cover venue hire or other expenses,
 Neil found a venue in Plymouth a while back it worked out it would cost
x people 10 pounds each (or was it 5) to cover the costs. I think the
plan fell through as a result. due to lack of interest partly due to
expense.

I think the idea is to have a pot of money, to cover things like venye
hire, banners, or other things.  What we then do at a venue.

I think if we can't get sponsors to help to wards costrs, its a case of
then approaching say the uk ubuntu user group loco teams (or similar)
and do a joint event,  as lug members who are happy to sponsor to then
work with the bigger group who may be in a position to handle the money
side of things,  the lug can then help as part of this bigger event.

for example we found the old monastery cost 35 pounds to hire out,
which ate up a large amount of what fund we did have,  so it would be
nice that if we were to do a lug meet and hire a venue,  we have the
money to begin with.

I understand the we need to do things by the book.

Paul