Re: [LUG] LUG funds

On 19/06/10 12:12, Paul Sutton wrote:
On 19/06/10 11:14, Neil Williams wrote:
On Sat, 19 Jun 2010 10:56:08 +0100
Paul Sutton<zleap@xxxxxxxxx>  wrote:

On 19/06/10 10:23, Neil Stone wrote:
Who is the best person to talk with regarding an idea for raising
funds for the lug

Right now we have>  £12.63

I think we need to decide how best to move ahead,

Which includes a decision about whether the LUG would actually benefit
from funds or whether any monies larger than current would attract
unwanted admin and hassle. We cannot attract sponsors without having an
official accounting method and banking setup and that costs money. Why
bother?

What is the fund meant to do? Why seek funding without a clear idea of
what needs funding?

perhaps sponsorship
is a way forward,  come up with an event. find costs and get sponsors
to help cover costs.

Currently, there are no costs, nor have there been since we started in
1999.

Well quite a few of us are burning cd-r's with linux on,  this is at our
own expense,  it would be nice if we could get hold of some proper cd's
such as the canonical ubuntu cd's just to do installs, or do other
distros have properly pressed cd's i know we can send for some,  they
just look nicer and are printed.

Not just Linux, also copies of the Open Disc. I don't mind chipping in a tenner here and there for CDs and labels and spending a couple of hours burning discs, after all I've got a great OS and some great apps for nothing but the time to download and the cost of a disc. I can't however spend loads of money on CDs and stuff.

The alternative is light scribe,  I don't have the hardware for this,
so it may be worth raising funds and then asking a member who has to
perhaps make a few copies,  but if the lug can provide the disks
otherwise is it a lot to ask of people to do this free of chage, as it
costs them, There has also been several occasions where people have been
able to do it,  but lack disks, lack funds for disks, etc.

Lightscribe drives aren't too expensive, no more than about £25 for an internal drive (or about £45 for an external drive), it's the media that costs. Last time I checked Lightscribe media was about twice the price of standard media, although I don't know what the price of Lightscribe media is like now and how it compares when you factor in either labels and ink/toner or ink and the extra for printable CDs (which still isn't that much really).

Rob