Re: [LUG] Atom 330 setup wanted

On 16/06/10 07:10, Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Wed, 16 Jun 2010, tom wrote:

On 15/06/10 13:47, Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Tue, 15 Jun 2010, James Fidell wrote:

tom wrote:
On 14/06/10 23:57, James Fidell wrote:
I've just started Evolution and imported one of my mail accounts. It
now has a total size of just shy of 1GB and resident set just under
250MB.
You are using far too much memory. I had this once when I upgraded but was not booting into the latest kernel - check your menu.lst to make sure its booting the latest?

Yup.  I'm using the most recent kernel available for Ubuntu 9.10.

Kernels are not usually sources of userland memory bloat.

A kernel running apps compiled for a different kernel can be though

Huh?

The only time I've known about kernel dependancies is to do with some version of glibc - and that's been for very old kernels. (or when the global change to elf format happened - but that was 10 years ago)

I always compile my own kernels and leave most of userland alone. Been doing this for the past 15 years without any issues like memory bloat in apps.

I'm not saying it's imposible - who knows what ubuntu does but making userland dependant of kernes just seems bogus to me.

Gordon

Its not just ubuntu..
Maybe I'm wrong but I've had occasions where all programs were using a lot more memory that they should have been and the system gets sluggish and its been down (or rather fixed by) fixing menu.lst to run the latest install kernel so I'm assuming that if you are running a glibc and kernel that dont 'match' then perhaps malloc is misbehaving allocating memory, not getting a message in time to say the memory has been made available, and asking again? When I've had it is seems process are using close to integer multiples of what they should be .
20 years ago I could have pointed you to the code...
Tom te tom te tom