Re: [LUG] Change of distro??

On Sun, 16 May 2010, james kilty wrote:

On Sat, 2010-05-15 at 22:38 +0100, Rob Beard wrote:

I found it to be quiet slow when using EXT4,
As I do.
 I went back to EXT3 and it
seems much quicker, although running disc checks is a tad slow now.
So you reinstalled everything having reformatted / and /home? Is there a
better system than ext3 and ext4?

Yes and No.

When it comes to FS choice, there is also a lot of personal opinion, fear, uncertianty and doubt, not to mention the holy wars.

I'd suggest sticking to ext3. It's well known, tried and tested, works well got most cases, and is included with every distribution under the sun.

It's highly unlikely that as an ordinary everyday user of Linux that you'll see any sort of benefit at all from running anything other than ext3.

The one thing that you may notice as an ordinary day to day user with ext3 is deleting big files - and by big, I mean 10's of GB. It's not the fastest in the world at file deletion, so if that's something you'll be doing a lot of, then look elsehwre, but otherwise just stick to ext3 safe in the knowledge that there are millions of others doing the same.

But if you want to experiment, try btrfs and let me know how you get on ;-)

Gordon