Re: [LUG] Change of distro??

On Sun, 16 May 2010 18:48:09 +0100
james kilty wrote:

> On Sat, 2010-05-15 at 22:38 +0100, Rob Beard wrote:
>
> > I found it to be quiet slow when using EXT4,
> As I do.
> >  I went back to EXT3 and it
> > seems much quicker, although running disc checks is a tad slow now.
> So you reinstalled everything having reformatted / and /home? Is
> there a better system than ext3 and ext4?

Depends on what you want to achieve.  Each file system has pros and
cons.  If you're running a non-database based mailserver, you might
want to use a filesystem that copes better with small files than large
ones - however, a database server would be better suited to a
filesystem that copes with large files over small ones.  And, of
course, there's no need for a one-size-fits-all approach - if you're
running a database service *and* a mail service on the same server, you
can always have the relevant portions of the filesystem hierarchy use
their own filesystem - just like having /home on a separate partition.

Grant.