Re: [LUG] OT: Fwd: Net approaches addressing limit

On 12/05/2010 16:41, Grant Sewell wrote:
Token Ring is also a dead technology, but it is still taught so that
students have a grounding in *concepts* other than CSMA/CD.

Just because something is dead doesn't mean it is not *useful* to learn
about it - either from a historical point of view, to introduce
concepts or to stagger the learning process.

I still teach classful addressing for IPv4 - Class A, B, C, D&  E.  It
would be kinda hard to explain why the multicast address ranges begin
with 224 and are called "Class D" addresses without visiting classful
addressing.  A little way down the line I introduce CIDR and related
topics and not one student has become confused by it.

Grant.
Agreed. I didn't take the Networking stream in my degree, but the Information Processing and Management module did cover some of the basic network topologies including Token Ring, Star etc. They may have taught Class addressing in the full Network stream and I agree that concepts are just as important to learn so as a graduate you don't think 'OK I know where we are, but how and why did we get to this point?'

Julian