Re: [LUG] OT: Fwd: Net approaches addressing limit

On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 8:57 AM, Gordon Henderson
<gordon+dcglug@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, 12 May 2010, James Fidell wrote:
>
> At least 15 years...
>
> I was working for an ISP in 1995 when the great debate was kicking off and
> CIDR was "invented" Lots of routers back then (ie. cisco) were buggy as they
> had all the netmasks for the old "Class A,B,C" networks hard-wired into
> them. We were using BSD boxes as routers back then, so didn't really have
> any issues with the "experimental" /16's RIPE gave us (out of Class A space)
> to .. er .. experiment with. (And people today still talk about Class A, B,
> .. networks )-:

Perhaps CIDR should be covered sooner but it still useful for students
to learn about it in stages - start with classful and get 'em to setup
a 2-router configuration with Class A on the LAN side of Router A,
Class B between the 2 routers (ie pretend WAN side) and Class C on the
LAN side of Router B - they can then easily see the differences
between the 3 sections and should be able to visualise the process of
data flowing from Router-A-LAN to Router-B-LAN via the pretend WAN.

Grant.