Re: [LUG] OT: Fwd: Net approaches addressing limit

On Wed, 12 May 2010 11:05:41 +0100 (BST)
Gordon Henderson wrote:

> On Wed, 12 May 2010, Grant Sewell wrote:
>
> > On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 8:57 AM, Gordon Henderson
> > <gordon+dcglug@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> On Wed, 12 May 2010, James Fidell wrote:
> >>
> >> At least 15 years...
> >>
> >> I was working for an ISP in 1995 when the great debate was kicking
> >> off and CIDR was "invented" Lots of routers back then (ie. cisco)
> >> were buggy as they had all the netmasks for the old "Class A,B,C"
> >> networks hard-wired into them. We were using BSD boxes as routers
> >> back then, so didn't really have any issues with the
> >> "experimental" /16's RIPE gave us (out of Class A space) to ..
> >> er .. experiment with. (And people today still talk about Class A,
> >> B, .. networks )-:
> >
> > Perhaps CIDR should be covered sooner but it still useful for
> > students to learn about it in stages - start with classful and get
> > 'em to setup a 2-router configuration with Class A on the LAN side
> > of Router A, Class B between the 2 routers (ie pretend WAN side)
> > and Class C on the LAN side of Router B - they can then easily see
> > the differences between the 3 sections and should be able to
> > visualise the process of data flowing from Router-A-LAN to
> > Router-B-LAN via the pretend WAN.
>
> I disagree. In these enlightened days, classed addressing is dead and
> should not be mentioned at all other than in history lessons.
>
> No-one uses classed addressing in todays real-life Internet. Networks
> are just that - a network base and a subnet mask, or a /prefix.
> Nothing more, nothing less. Anyone coming to me looking for a job and
> asking about what Class C networks I have would be shown the door.
>
> Stop teaching classed network addressing. They went out of fashion 15
> years ago.
>
> Gordon

Token Ring is also a dead technology, but it is still taught so that
students have a grounding in *concepts* other than CSMA/CD.

Just because something is dead doesn't mean it is not *useful* to learn
about it - either from a historical point of view, to introduce
concepts or to stagger the learning process.

I still teach classful addressing for IPv4 - Class A, B, C, D & E.  It
would be kinda hard to explain why the multicast address ranges begin
with 224 and are called "Class D" addresses without visiting classful
addressing.  A little way down the line I introduce CIDR and related
topics and not one student has become confused by it.

Grant.