Re: [LUG] OT: Fwd: Net approaches addressing limit

Julian Hall wrote:
> 'In less than 18 months there will be no more big blocks of net
> addresses to give out, estimates suggest.  Predictions name 9 September
> 2011 as the date on which the last of those tranches is released for net
> firms and others to use'

Afraid "IPv4 address exhaustion" is up there with "the rapture" and "the
return of the messiah" as long expected. The only difference being we
know IPv4 addresses exist.

Sure there are issues, but I believe over 10% of allocatable "/8"'s have
yet to be allocated. Last estimate I saw estimated 17% of those
allocated are no longer in use.

Mitigation by reclaiming over generous early allocations (starting with
those to defunct companies) is significantly easier than wide spread
IPv6 deployment.

On the other hand a lot of the systems are IPv6 ready, so switching
shouldn't be that painful. The main limitation is I suspect system and
network administrator clue, I've managed to avoid learning anything
useful about IPv6 except how to disable it.

There appear to be substantially more IPv6 enabled clients than web servers.