Re: [LUG] OT: - cleaning w2k box

On 12/05/2010 15:04, Simon Waters wrote:
tom wrote:

its perfora.net (74.208.84.230)
I've just noticed (having restarted w2k to get this info) that it is
pinging before the user screen is up and its properly on the network so
it may be a dodgy driver for the wireless card....
If it were me, I'd identify which piece of software is making the
requests and report it via virustotal, and then reinstall from trusted
media.
The old way to do that was start up the PC with the network cable unplugged and see what complained. I have the feeling that malware written by a competent programmer will know to shut up though.

CTRL/ALT/DEL, see what processes are running and if there are any you don't recognise Google their names - long-winded but should work to identify the culprit.

Julian