Re: [LUG] Software for creating a poster

On 10/05/10 18:43, Roland Tarver wrote:
Hi Folks :-)

[OT] You will be pleased to know I handed in the essay which prevented
me from attending the meeting yesterday....and guess what.....as soon
as I handed it in, we got our next assignment!....

Um... yay and um... noooo! :-)

[back on topic]...

Part of the new assignment is to create a poster! It _must_ be in
electronic form. I will need to print an A3 version of the poster (to
be used in a presentation), I will also need to print an identical A4
version of the poster (for submission with a 1500 word critical
review).

...and so...

Any suggestions for which program is best?

<snip>

PS, the printing of the A3 version will be done at a copy shop of some
sort, so potential file format incompatibility issues??

You could look at OpenOffice Draw or Inkscape for relative ease of use or possibly Scribus if you're feeling a little more adventurous (it's not that hard to use, just possibly not as easy as say MS Publisher).

With regards to compatibility issues, OpenOffice and Scribus can export to a PDF file, and I'm pretty certain Inkscape can too. If you use any specific fonts I'd suggest trying the PDF on a friends Windows machine before sending it to the printers to make sure they can open it as expected (I've found most of the time the fonts are embedded into the PDF, but sometimes the fonts might not be carried over in which case you'll need to possibly provide copies of the fonts too).

If all else fails, try speaking to the copyshop to confirm they will be able to accept a PDF (they most probably will), or failing that a Postscript file which you should be able to print from Ubuntu (I gather you run Ubuntu?). To print as a Postscript file, when you go to print the document, select Print to File and select Postscript.

Hope this helps.

Rob