Re: [LUG] Lucid Experiences

On Mon, 3 May 2010 11:55:38 +0100 (BST)
Gordon Henderson wrote:

> There are people like me who stick with what they know - and I've had
> the same desktop layout and style since the early 90's when FVWM1 was
> first announced. Back then I used it on a Tektronics Colour X
> terminal with a resolution of 1280x1024 hosted of a Sun Sparcstation
> - a stupidly expensive beast at the time! When I got my first Linux
> box (c1994) I was reduced to a mere 800x600 as that's all I could
> afford at the time - until I got a 2nd-hand 1024x768 monitor (15"
> diagonal ;-)
>
> Now, it's back up to 1280x1024 on an LCD display - but that's now 3
> years old, so thinking of a replacement - maybe.

Nice!  When I started with Linux I was running with a 15" CRT with a
native resolution of 1024x768 already!  I then became a bit of a
screen-realestate junkie and a couple of years later 'upgraded' to a
19" CRT that had a native resolution of 1280x1024 but could be pushed
up a fair bit higher.  Some years after that I took custody of a nice
21" CRT that can do 1920xsomething.  Unfortunately that isn't in
current usage.  I don't *need* all that screen real estate, but I like
it.  Alas my current main machine is my laptop with a measly 1280x800.

> If I Left-click on the desktop it brings up a menu of "stuff" -
> mostly local applications, and xterms running ssh to remote sites and
> servers...
>
> I have tried others - but they're full of junk and rubbish that I
> really don't get on with - multi colour backgrounds, transparency
> (huh?) and silly effects which do nothing other than to slow
> everything down and make me irritated and get in the way of my work.
> I also feel that I don't need a "desktop" environment - but maybe
> because I'm a command-line junkie and I can find/edit, whatever files
> from a command line much quicker than navigating through a graphical
> represenation and trying to remember which way the alphabet goes - I
> can usually type a filename in quicker than I can find it in those
> browser things.

That's why I liked Sawfish so much!  No 'desktop' metaphor, no
unnecessary taskbars (by default).  I had keyboard shortcuts for pretty
much everything and I'm pretty sure I had a terminal session open on
every virtual screen.  I also disliked minimizing anything so I had
tonnes of virtual screens so I could have everything open full screen
all the time.

> I'll leave you to stick with your lucid lurex experience - I've no
> plans to move from fvwm and Debian for some time yet. For me, it
> seems more and more that it's going the "vendor lock-in" way. Losing
> control, little choices and so on. And that may be fine for a lot of
> people, but it's not for me.

Haha!  Lucid lurex.  I love it!  I do dislike the removal of options
and features, or the hiding of said options and features, but I do
appreciate that I can still change a lot of things easily.  And it's
not like Ubuntu are the only ones.  A standard Debian system with Gnome
has many of the same shortcomings as a standard Ubuntu system with
Gnome, as does Slackware with Gnome... I'm starting to see a pattern
here. :D

(I also dislike what KDE did in the move from 3.x to 4.x.)

Grant.