Re: [LUG] Lucid Experiences

On Mon, 3 May 2010, Paul Sutton wrote:

http://xwinman.org is a pretty good site about it.

Grant.

However a lot of the screen shots are about 10 years old,  which don't
really do any of these window managers justice, as I am sure they have
improved over the years.

Don't bet on it...

Perhaps lug members can address this and send in some more, up to date
screen shots :)

There are people like me who stick with what they know - and I've had the same desktop layout and style since the early 90's when FVWM1 was first announced. Back then I used it on a Tektronics Colour X terminal with a resolution of 1280x1024 hosted of a Sun Sparcstation - a stupidly expensive beast at the time! When I got my first Linux box (c1994) I was reduced to a mere 800x600 as that's all I could afford at the time - until I got a 2nd-hand 1024x768 monitor (15" diagonal ;-)

Now, it's back up to 1280x1024 on an LCD display - but that's now 3 years old, so thinking of a replacement - maybe.

You want a screen shot?

  http://unicorn.drogon.net/ss.png

The box at the top-right is in 3 sections. The top panel represents 8 virtual desktops, the middle runs xdaliclock with a Helvetica font and the bottom are some occasionally useful window manipulation buttons. It's a window manager, not a desktop, so there is no concept of placing files on the desktop although you can turn windows into icons - there's a couple of Xterm icons up there. Gimp is lurking under Firefox - which I used to get the screenshot.

If I Left-click on the desktop it brings up a menu of "stuff" - mostly local applications, and xterms running ssh to remote sites and servers...

I have tried others - but they're full of junk and rubbish that I really don't get on with - multi colour backgrounds, transparency (huh?) and silly effects which do nothing other than to slow everything down and make me irritated and get in the way of my work. I also feel that I don't need a "desktop" environment - but maybe because I'm a command-line junkie and I can find/edit, whatever files from a command line much quicker than navigating through a graphical represenation and trying to remember which way the alphabet goes - I can usually type a filename in quicker than I can find it in those browser things.

I'll leave you to stick with your lucid lurex experience - I've no plans to move from fvwm and Debian for some time yet. For me, it seems more and more that it's going the "vendor lock-in" way. Losing control, little choices and so on. And that may be fine for a lot of people, but it's not for me.

Enjoy ;-)

Gordon