Re: [LUG] New router

On 29/04/2010 18:28, Gordon Henderson wrote:
> It's far too easy to look at outher countries and say things like "Wow -
> look at them, they get X speed and it's Y times faster than ours"... You
> need to take the whole picture into account.

Yes. YES. Y E S!
One remote site I deal with (close to a major military district* control
centre) has great internet speeds, they 'did deal' to get connected,
but about 2 Km away, where they make their structural steel items in a
newish factory even a 'normal wired telephone' is rare and a controlled
luxury so no internet. The 'normal' non-urban
non-political-elite-residence situation.
* district = about 3xsize Wales.

Wireless phones are the norm.

Satellite in West Africa at another spot I deal with is 100 km from
nearest  utility-available 'town' (wee village by UK standards) with
water, electricity, some piped sewage to river outlet, even a part time
bank branch! Factory to be installed there will connect via satellite
for all communication purposes. Factory to Capital, Factory to UK & USA
--
Regards
Eion MacDonald