Re: [LUG] New router

On 29/04/10 18:48, Eion MacDonald wrote:

On 29/04/2010 17:43, tom wrote:
Skype has a lot of proprietary stuff* in it and (as far as I can tell)
wont allow you to connect to 'proper' VOIP or SIP

* confirmed.
That maybe an advantage to my style of work, as the other end of
telephone has to use what they can get and an "MS OS" (paid for,or copy)
by downloading Skype allows inter country communication.

Trying to set up a "VoIP"  with non-computer-tech folks in remote
countries is easy with Skype. The other end of my folk could do a lot on
high tech chemical and gas analysis but know nowt about any computer
system - they just use what is available.  So Skype is ' fit for purpose'.

That's fair enough, I must admit I do use Skype occasionally because the family across the country have it and it just works (a whole lot better than I've found MSN to).

Rob