Re: [LUG] Ubuntu training for newbies

On 24/04/10 10:16, Vivi Griffin wrote:
On 24 April 2010 09:46, Roland Tarver <roland.tarver@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
<mailto:roland.tarver@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

     > Hi Roly,
     >
     > Re cost, it depends on how much training / number of different
    topics / no
     > of trainees. As a guide, I charge 25.00 for 1.5 hours when providing
     > training on a one to one basis, normally.

    ok. I will forward these details and he can decide. Man y thanks.

     > However, I am happy to be flexible on fees and would charge less
    per person
     > for multiple trainees in a group.
     >
     > I have enough laptops to do a group of 4 people and of course,
    would be
     > happy for people to bring their own if they have a laptop.
     >
     > Perhaps I could come up with a suggested list of topics that may
    be useful
     > for a beginner?

    Yes, if you would not mind. But please don't spend much of your time
    on it. Obviously, I have yet to ask if my friend would be interested.
    (emailing him now)

     > Viv

    Many thanks
    Best wishes
    Roly :-)

Suggested topics for intro to ubuntu (already installed & configured) -
happy to adapt this to what people need though).

Installing new apps - intro to Synaptic
Distro Updates
Email (poss. Thunderbird or Evolution)
Intro to OpenOffice (Calc and Writer)
Basics - using console
Browsing web - Googling for advice on Ubuntu
Media Players - media issues
The concept of permissions - logging in as root / user

I think 1/2 day is enough to get people started and cover a range of
topics such as these.

Viv

I'd say initially my step-father would only probably need an introduction to distro updates (it's set to automatically install security updates, but I'm not sure if it comes up with non-critical updates), OpenOffice (Writer and Calc), F-Spot for managing photos from a digital camera, and general Internet.
it'll probably be me who does any administration on his PC).

Maybe rather than teaching Synaptic too, the Ubuntu Software Centre might be a more suitable option.

What I will probably do is setup his laptop with an e-mail address incorporated into Thunderbird. Unfortunately he's been setup with a Hotmail address, but if he now clicks on an e-mail link on a web page it'll open Evolution. I'm thinking maybe giving him a Google Mail address and incorporating that into Thunderbird (and setting Thunderbird as the default e-mail app) might be a better solution for him. (Unless anyone can advise how to get IMAP/POP access to a Hotmail mailbox).

Rob