Re: [LUG] Ubuntu training for newbies

On 24 April 2010 09:46, Roland Tarver <roland.tarver@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Roly,
>
> Re cost, it depends on how much training / number of different topics / no
> of trainees. As a guide, I charge 25.00 for 1.5 hours when providing
> training on a one to one basis, normally.

ok. I will forward these details and he can decide. Man y thanks.

> However, I am happy to be flexible on fees and would charge less per person
> for multiple trainees in a group.
>
> I have enough laptops to do a group of 4 people and of course, would be
> happy for people to bring their own if they have a laptop.
>
> Perhaps I could come up with a suggested list of topics that may be useful
> for a beginner?

Yes, if you would not mind. But please don't spend much of your time
on it. Obviously, I have yet to ask if my friend would be interested.
(emailing him now)

> Viv

Many thanks
Best wishes
Roly :-)

Suggested topics for intro to ubuntu (already installed & configured) - happy to adapt this to what people need though).

Installing new apps - intro to Synaptic
Distro Updates
Email (poss. Thunderbird or Evolution)
Intro to OpenOffice (Calc and Writer)
Basics - using console
Browsing web - Googling for advice on Ubuntu
Media Players - media issues
The concept of permissions - logging in as root / user

I think 1/2 day is enough to get people started and cover a range of topics such as these.

Viv