Re: [LUG] Recommendations for a command line only address book for storing basic contact details?

On Thu, 2010-04-01 at 19:58 +0100, Roland Tarver wrote:

> That sounds great. Do you know roughly when you posted them to the
> list? The lug search only seems to let me search up to a maximum of 6
> months at a time?

I will attach it again as I am not even certain that it was I sent to
the list, I thought it was though.

> They are obviously working well for you, in that you have been using
> them over the last few years. How many "records" do you have?

At the moment it contains 160 entries, its "database" is simple a flat
text file, one entry per line. There would be no conceivable slow down
with many many hundreds of entries, there may be limits on what the
commands head, tail and cat work with but I don't really know and
imagine it to be pretty darned big.

adbk is the command to do most of the work, it has a -h (help) option to
remind of usage. If you try, you can probably break something but I
haven't had any probs. I suspect someone else better with scripting my
be able to write it better after they finish crying into my code ;)

adbk 999 For fire police and ambulance
adbk Mr Brown 10 Downing St, London
adbk John Williams subbass@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  birthday 25th June
note:niceguy

Above are examples of my uses, address, birthdays, phone numbers,
specific things I might want to remember when looking up a persons
details, like due date for a sprog, or a friend who I seldom speak with,
their fiances name (I am terrible with names)

If you want to remove an entry, use -n for a numbered output, and then
-d <num>
If you want to edit an entry, use -e to open it in nano, make the
changes save and exit, you may need to do a -r after to resort the
list.. Or it will do itself next time an entry is made/removed.

abs is a shorter faster way to search for an entry, it just uses grep,
nothing fancy.

abs kemp
abs june
abs nice

fast and simple :]

adbkup is how I make a quick backup, it uses an email command to just
send the textfile to an email address, I have a gmail address I use
solely for storing conf's and my scripts etc. Edit the script to your
own email address. If you don't have an existing commandline 'email'
then in the script comments is a link to the one I use and have done for
years.

adbk2evernote might be useful to me only, but its included. It is
basically same as the normal backup one, but it sends it to my evernote
account via email so I can sync it onto my ipod super duper simply, so I
can have an updated full contact list with me *everywhere*. Its saved my
ass a few times :]

Well, it prolly sounds more complicated than it is... adbk <text> to add
something, abs <text> to find it.

abs <text> | lpr
If you want to print it :]

God I love linux.... Amen.

If anyone does tart up the code feel free and let me have the upgrade
scripts :]

--
John Williams
My linux blog of notes and guides