Re: [LUG] Recommendations for a command line only address book for storing basic contact details?

On Fri, Apr 2, 2010 at 11:20 AM, John Williams <subbass@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-04-01 at 19:58 +0100, Roland Tarver wrote:
>
>> That sounds great. Do you know roughly when you posted them to the
>> list? The lug search only seems to let me search up to a maximum of 6
>> months at a time?
>>

> I will attach it again as I am not even certain that it was I sent to
> the list, I thought it was though.
>

>> They are obviously working well for you, in that you have been using
>> them over the last few years. How many "records" do you have?
>>

> At the moment it contains 160 entries, its "database" is simple a flat
> text file, one entry per line. There would be no conceivable slow down
> with many many hundreds of entries, there may be limits on what the
> commands head, tail and cat work with but I don't really know and
> imagine it to be pretty darned big.
>
> adbk is the command to do most of the work, it has a -h (help) option to
> remind of usage. If you try, you can probably break something but I
> haven't had any probs. I suspect someone else better with scripting my
> be able to write it better after they finish crying into my code ;)
>
> adbk 999 For fire police and ambulance
> adbk Mr Brown 10 Downing St, London
> adbk John Williams subbass@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  birthday 25th June
> note:niceguy
>
> Above are examples of my uses, address, birthdays, phone numbers,
> specific things I might want to remember when looking up a persons
> details, like due date for a sprog, or a friend who I seldom speak with,
> their fiances name (I am terrible with names)
>
> If you want to remove an entry, use -n for a numbered output, and then
> -d <num>
> If you want to edit an entry, use -e to open it in nano, make the
> changes save and exit, you may need to do a -r after to resort the
> list.. Or it will do itself next time an entry is made/removed.
>
> abs is a shorter faster way to search for an entry, it just uses grep,
> nothing fancy.
>
> abs kemp
> abs june
> abs nice
>
> fast and simple :]
>
> adbkup is how I make a quick backup, it uses an email command to just
> send the textfile to an email address, I have a gmail address I use
> solely for storing conf's and my scripts etc. Edit the script to your
> own email address. If you don't have an existing commandline 'email'
> then in the script comments is a link to the one I use and have done for
> years.
>
> adbk2evernote might be useful to me only, but its included. It is
> basically same as the normal backup one, but it sends it to my evernote
> account via email so I can sync it onto my ipod super duper simply, so I
> can have an updated full contact list with me *everywhere*. Its saved my
> ass a few times :]
>
> Well, it prolly sounds more complicated than it is... adbk <text> to add
> something, abs <text> to find it.
>
> abs <text> | lpr
> [...]

Hi John!!

That is AWESOME! Many thanks. I have downloaded the scripts and will
have a play about with them a little later. I am revising for an exam
at the moment :-s. I will let you know how I get on. I am sure they
will be great! :-)

If you have not already done so, perhaps you should put them in a more
public place on the net. I am certain a lot of people out there would
like to make use of them??

Will let you know how I get on.

MANY thanks
Best wishes