Re: [LUG] most graphically impressive live-cd - for a windows user to try

On Tue, 2010-03-30 at 10:45 +0100, Paul Sutton wrote:

> but yeah, a good way to get people interested in open source is to
> demonstrate the sort of things it's capable of.
If a newcomer says "I can do that" then the next step is to do it. If
they say "I can't do that", then the next step is to walk away.

Entry easy-to-use distros are a first step to trying others after
getting used to the first one - after that, who knows where people will
go - writing code - promoting a distro - contributing in some other way?

I talked to a friend a few years ago who was pretty computer literate
and he, his wife, his son and his son-in-law are now all using one or
other version of GNU/Linux - the son-in-law, a medical researcher at
RCS, for his research as the tools available were very impressive.

James

--
james kilty
http://www.kilty.demon.co.uk