Re: [LUG] Debian Squeeze with grub2. Problem upgrading linux-kernel

On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 20:16:09 +0000 (GMT)
Gordon Henderson <gordon+dcglug@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello Gordon,

> In the old days when no-one knew any better and BIOSs were limited to
> not being able to boot off partitions or disks of a certian size, then
> having the very first partition of a disk small was the way to go -
> that would typically be /boot.

Yeah, Amigas also had such issues when hard drives got to be bigger than
4Gig.  The boot partition *had* to be wholly inside the first 4Gig,
otherwise you could come unstuck.

> Maybe you're not using ext2/3/4 ? I'm not sure which other filesystems
> have lost+found directories.

Ext3.

> Or maybe /boot isn't really a separate p

Apparently not, on this machine, as /boot doesn't show up.  Thinking
back, when I partitioned up the drives, I ended up doing some weird
things to get the system set up.  It's not set up as I'd like at all.
The other two machines aren't powered up ATM for me to check them.  Not
worth turning them on just ot run df and/or mount.....

--
 Regards  _

We don't give a damn
One Chord Wonders - The Adverts