Re: [LUG] OT: Exeter renewables was Re: Yay us !! (F@H)

> The report looks at other renewable sources for Exeter. Apparently
> photovoltaic cells on all suitably aligned roofs would cost nearly a
> billion and provide about a MW, for comparison EDF energy plans to add
> 6.4GW of capacity with its new nuclear plants. Nothing in this convinces
> me that Exeter wouldn't be better drawing it's power from the grid,
> although I have a nostalgic yearning for digestion as a power source.
>
> http://www.exeter.gov.uk/CHttpHandler.ashx?id=11811&p=0

I'll have to have a skim through that report, interesting stuff indeed.

It'd be silly for anyone to think that installing lots of solar panels
would play to our strengths as a country. A single wind turbine could
produce more power then that figure you gave and would cost sub
Â2million from beginning to end, or thereabouts anyway. I think we
have to use a combination of things, not just down here in Cornwall
and Devon but all over the country. Someone's got to do something
quick, and intelligent for that matter, because these sorts of things
don't sort themselves out, and if we're not careful something will
catch up with us.

Thanks for the link by the way, didn't know such a report had been compiled.

--
Aled Parry
ap357@xxxxxxxx