Re: [LUG] OT: Exeter renewables was Re: Yay us !! (F@H)

On Sat, 2010-02-20 at 20:29 +0000, Simon Waters wrote:

> I'm guessing run-of-river hydro in the Exe would be pretty erratic as a
> power source. The river near Exeter is fairly level, which makes it
> harder to extract useful power, and means that fish are currently able
> to go upstream with little difficulty.

The weir gives a constant head.

A wheel in the river is no good, but a turbine in the mill race woudl be
worthwhile, at some cost of electricity.

Whether the amount and the cost and the capital and so on has reached
the region where it makes sense is worth further study.

There is a little generator at Lyme Regis, in the same place that the
generator predating the Grid was.