Re: [LUG] OpenVZ, anyone?

Tried a few actually.
VMware: Slow, annoying. bloated.
Xen: Not able to try because timers kept dying on startup.
KVM: Brilliant. lightweight, simple, easy to configure, very fast
Virtualbox: It's like a heavyweight GUI that I don't really need to
KVM. I'm fine with KVM, especially as it's about 11 meg (?)
Qemu: For when I'm doing non-x86. Very nice.

Keep in mind I do have VT and AMD-V.

On 20 February 2010 13:55, Gordon Henderson <gordon+dcglug@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Feb 2010, Gordon Henderson wrote:
>
>> Will find out shortly as I've found time this morning to play - I have a
>> sacrificial old Celeron desktop box to try it with...
>
> Well, it was a good idea, but I'm giving up now. The first kernel I compiled
> crashed spectacularly, then I used Debians kernels and patches - they
> wouldn't even compile.
>
> Also, OpenVZ development seems have stalled - their latest "stable" version
> patches into kernel 2.6.18, and we all know that a stinking pile of security
> risks that one was! It's actually been removed from future released of
> Debian by the looks of it. So that's that. I've wasted a few hours on it and
> therefore it sucks.
>
> Shame as it looks stupidly easy to get going and create new containers on
> the surface too.
>
> Gordon
>
> --

Dan Dart