Re: [LUG] plymouth geeks meetup on the 18th of feb?

On Mon, 15 Feb 2010, Paul Sutton wrote:

I agree,  any big meetings needs to be something special, with agreed
schedule, agenda perhaps,  plus food / drinks available.  This may
require extra planning however we are not short on things to discuss or
demo.

Its do-able,  once we have a format, and a venue we can rely on,  we can
pre-book,  and fund raise for such events,  long term and have some sort
of money pot we can dip in to and replenish,  if meetings are big enough
we could attract sponsors for example.

If you want to run a *big* event, then there are some large places that are relatively cheap - well inside the realms of getting a bit of commercial sponsorship for a small number of companies if they wished - and I'm thinking of the small companies like myself, or other local business who might want to put up a stand, say a few words, etc.

For example - my local Town Hall - not the worlds best place, no laid-on Wi-Fi either (but 3G coverage from Three, Orange and T-Mob) costs £25.30 for 4 hours before 5pm (ie. a 9-1 or 1pm - 5pm slot, and I'm sure other town halls cost something similar - and that's for the whole hall - it's huge - we'd rattle about it. We could have access to a smaller room with kitchen for £13.80. (Parking costs extra, but...)

And so on...

Buckfastleigh is in the middle of the A38 between Exeter & Plymouth - has the X38 bus service and that's about it, and personally I'd not really consider it a viable venue, however... It's also a royal PITA to get to from the other side of Dartmoor...

We also have a railway station but only to/from Totnes - however the station Cafe is usable and has been used for local arts groups meetings in the same way we use the Shoreline...

But if someone wants to, their local town hall is surely promising...

Gordon